Thursday, January 21, 2010

rainy day girl recommends

During the past week Ross and I happened upon two of the best documentaries I have ever seen. You should see them, too.

I've been pretty obsessed with trying to eat real, ethical food since I read Michael Pollan's excellent In Defense of Food over the summer. So I freely admit that Food, Inc--based on both Pollan's works and Eric Schlosser's Fast Food Nation--was preaching to the converted. Yet seeing all these things I'd read about on actual film renewed my resolve to be done as the food industry's sucker. It also inspired me to add a new link list to this blog's sidebar ("Because We Are What We Eat") where I've listed websites I've found helpful as we've tried to make sustainable choices. I particularly like The Cornucopia Institute, which has an informative list of different organic dairy companies and how well they live up to their espoused philosophies. Anyway, rant concluded, but I highly recommend you see this film.

I don't normally cry out of sentiment. I didn't cry at my wedding, for heaven's sake. But I bawled through this documentary, an incredibly sweet and agenda-free film about three retired men and women in Bangor, Maine, who have made it their life's mission to greet and welcome home every single soldier who comes through Bangor's airport (apparently one of the major points of entry for returning servicemen and women). Watching them shower love on those soldiers as they deal privately with the loneliness and illness of old age is incredibly powerful. Please, please see this documentary (it's available as an Instant Play on Netflix). Then call me or leave me a message here and let's talk about it.

Note to Swensons and affiliates: this film made me think a lot about Grandpa and the service he rendered both our country and our family. Have Kleenex handy.

1 comment:

  1. I've heard a lot about that Food, Inc. book. I will have to read it.

    ReplyDelete