Tuesday, November 3, 2009

dear sweet sister


Dear Cassidy,

You are 20 today. As you like to say: "Oh, my" (you know that today is your birthday, of course, but not everyone does so I included it at the beginning of this letter as a helpful bit of exposition).

Happy birthday, dear sweet sister. I am so exceedingly proud of you. On your blog you wrote about all the lessons you've learned this year. I just wanted to tell you that it shows. I am so proud of you for going back to school and for loving it so much, and I urge you to STICK WITH IT! You're going places, baby (I feel like that's something Aunt Bevan might say. Whenever I give advice I try to sound like Aunt Bevan).

I also wanted to thank you for all that you did for Ross and me--especially for me--in the weeks leading up to our wedding. Our wedding absolutely, positively, indisputably could NOT have happened without you. Also, I might have died. Seriously, sister, you worked tirelessly in helping us plan, in running errands for me when I was sick, and in decorating our apartment (which looks fabulous, thanks to you). You remember this picture?

You look beautiful and I look like I'm dying. But I love it because it reminds me of all that you did for us that week.

I just love you to pieces, little sister. Through all that we've been through you've always been there. Thanks for always calling. Thanks for asking me for advice sometimes (I'll still write the introductions to your papers if you want). Thanks for getting along so well with Ross. And mostly thanks for being your irrepressible, spunky, hilarious, loving, surprising self.

Last thing: I know you don't like this picture,

but it's my favorite one ever of us. Thanks for everything, chica. Love you so much.

Happy Birthday Cassidy!

1 comment: