Thursday, April 15, 2010

what i always wanted

I remember once visiting the Metreon in San Francisco with my Dad. The Metreon is an exceptionally intense, multi-story, movie theater right downtown. I don't think we actually saw a movie, but we walked around some of the shops in the theater and went up to the top floor. It was a beautiful day in the city and we could see a big park filled with sunbathers, and I remember thinking, right then, that this was the life I wanted to have. I wanted to live in a beautiful city and sit in a park with music and a good book and quietly let the city move around me.

Flash forward to today. I'm sitting in Jamison Square park on my flamingo beach towel. Creature is nervously peeking out from my Powell's bag (we're still working on outdoor time). I'm listening to Iron and Wine and reading a really nerdy book about the history of the Thames river and, all of a sudden, I realize that this is it. I have exactly the life that I've always wanted. Not only do I get to sunbathe in a beautiful city (with my sweet cat as a bonus), I'm married to my best friend, going to graduate school (knock on wood), and standing on the cusp of a lifetime of adventures. And as if all of that--all of that!--weren't enough, I just discovered that the snap peas that we planted on the deck are growing like fools. It's a good life, friends.

1 comment: